Ah yes, I’m picking this one for my Winter 2015 re-encoding project. This is one and (unfortunately) only new show that I picked up for this season. I have two more anime to do but they’re just a bunch of sequels and I believe both series were on my previous re-encoding projects. You guess them. (or simply take a peek at my current re-encoding list at the right side of the site)
You like battleships, aircrafts & cruisers from the World War II era but with pretty girls? KanColle is for you. I knew it’s based on the online card game where you play with the actual WWII Japanese battleships but they are represented with illustrations of cute girls but I haven’t play it because you know… it’s in Japanese & region-locked. Plus, I’m not into this kind of game unless I played and found some fun factor from it.
Well, as far as my knowledge goes, the franchise is overwhelmingly popular in Japan (even in Asia too) due to its nature that is comparable with Touhou Project when it comes to a variety of cute characters. On top of that, there are numerous doujins (fanmade merchandises such as games, comics, illustrations, etc.) based on the franchise.
I just simply pick this series just for some enjoyment but what I really wanted to see is how well they adapting this kind of game with no actual plot whatsoever into this plot-derived anime. Voice actress Saki Fujita is here among with other popular VAs including Ayana Taketatsu, Ayako Kawasumi, Risa Taneda and more. All of them were also worked for the game as well.
Okay, here’s my first impression for the very first episode:
- The animation is quite nice, not to mention the characters too. I noticed there’s a bit of CG animated characters during the attack at the enemy’s base, but it’s still fine.
- Musics are good too, especially the battle part. They resembles this kind of atmosphere during the war. Honestly, they gave me throwbacks to the classic movies also based on war.
- There are panty shots, quite plenty though. Oh, not to mention their clothes will tear apart if they’re being hit by any projectiles. This ain’t Senran Kagura but oh well, target audience nowadays does make sense…
- All characters are females, can you believe it? This anime is sexist…. Nah, just joking. Actually, there’s a commander whom being implied as a male character by the fleet girls but he didn’t showed up, instead his shadow was shown in the end credits part though…
- “Harasho” even made an appearance in this anime. Is Japan too obsessed with this particular Russian word? I thought only Ayase Eli could say that.
- Each character has different traits, yet very typical sort of… For instance like Fubuki, a clumsy girl who doesn’t even know how to fight in a battle eventhough she’s the flagship of destroyer class. Another one is Yuudachi, she has a habit of including “-poi” in most of her dialogues.
- The narrator at the beginning…. Why does she reminds me of someone from Psycho-pass…?
Still, quite an okay episode. Really enjoy the battles so far. Might keep watching it just for some fun & enjoyment.